I love hearing new ideas from people at all levels within our team. Finally, I try to create an environment where people can have fun. Life’s too short to not enjoy your time at work.
1.What was your first job, and how was it?
I got a summer job in the marketing department of a large biotechnology company. On my first day, I was shown to a filing room with no windows and told I had to photocopy several thousand documents. It took me about two weeks of photocopying (on a machine that was clearly on its last legs) from 9-5 before I eventually made it back out to daylight. I think my next task was putting leaflets in envelopes so not much more exciting!
2. What would you regard as your greatest achievement to date?
Raising two (relatively) normal, happy, stable teenagers! They’ll even be seen in public with me now which, as anyone who has teenagers will tell you, is an achievement in itself!
3. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
‘Stop trying to do everything yourself’. It’s easy to want to be heavily involved in every aspect of your business and it’s something I definitely did earlier in my career. I’ve learned to trust the team around me to do a better job than I ever could (and they do), and I think we perform much better as a result.
4. If you could step into the shoes of one businessperson for the day, who would it be and why?
Toto Wolff (CEO Mercedes F1 team). I’m a massive motor racing fan and love the way that Toto Wolff (who was a self-starting investor before F1), is also so involved in the day-to-day running of the team. It’s a sport of fine margins and I’d love the mix of running the business side of Formula 1 with the technical challenge of finding some extra pace on the track.
5. In three words or less, how do you define success?
Happiness. That’s it!
6. How do you motivate yourself and your staff?
I love what I do and try to bring that passion to every interaction with my team. I challenge myself and my team to think differently and to embrace change – I think you have to evolve continuously to remain successful. I try to be as open and approachable as possible – I love hearing new ideas from people at all levels within our team. Finally, I try to create an environment where people can have fun. Life’s too short to not enjoy your time at work.
7. How do you relax?
I love golf and play regularly with family and friends. I spend around 80% of my round relaxing and the other 20% frustrated that the ball won’t go where I want it to.
8. What would be your ideal job and why?
Probably a professional golfer. So I could practice all day getting the ball to go where I want it to. In saying that, there’s already a Paul Dunne on the European Tour so I think that role is taken!
9. What are your aspirations for the future of Elavon?
Elavon is a phenomenal group of people working in a rapidly changing industry. I see us becoming a stand out leader in our field, delivering omni-commerce solutions to merchants of all sizes. As a business, we’re going through a period of real growth so I want to see us retain that trajectory while retaining the outstanding culture that makes us who we are today.
Learn more about Elavon