Here you’ll find guides relating to your card machine if it has not been used for some time: how best to clean and disinfect it between uses, and how to resolve the most frequently faced issues.
In our online survey, of 1000 adults aged 16-75 in Ireland with Ipsos Mori, 59% of respondents say they’ll actively seek to use card or contactless payments following the pandemic.
By encouraging your customers to pay using contactless methods (especially digital wallets) you’ll minimise interactions at your point-of-sale, protecting both your customer and your staff as the need for social distancing continues.
In addition to the change in contactless limits, it is vital you and your staff know that anyone paying by smartphone or smartwatch (i.e. using a digital wallet) will be able to pay far higher amounts without needing to touch your card machine at all. Cardholder verification takes place on the cardholder’s device so there is no need to enter a PIN on the card machine.
If your card machine has not been used for a number of weeks
For mobile Ingenico devices:
- Plug-in the device, using its cradle if applicable to the model, leave until the battery is fully recharged
- To download any updates that have been missed, including recent changes to contactless limits. Go to ‘MAIN MENU’ > choose ‘TERMINAL’ > choose ‘PROG LOAD’ > enter your password. Leave the terminal until it completes the updates and reboots to the main screen
If using a GRPS device and it has not reconnected to the network, reboot the device by pressing the YELLOW key and dot key (next to the 0 key) together for a few seconds. This will automatically reboot your terminal.
For desktop Ingenico devices:
- If it has been unplugged for a while, reconnecting the power will reboot the device
- Alternatively, you can reboot the device by pressing the YELLOW key and dot key (next to the 0 key) together for a few seconds
- To download any updates that have been missed, including recent changes to contactless limits. Go to ‘MAIN MENU’ > choose ‘TERMINAL’ > choose ‘PROG LOAD’ > enter your password. Leave the terminal until it completes the updates and reboots to the main screen.
For mobile Poynt devices:
- Plug-in the device, using its cradle if applicable to the model, leave until the battery is fully recharged.
- To force a reboot, pull down on the button on the right-hand side of the device for a few seconds. You will be prompted to choose ‘POWER OFF or ‘REBOOT > choose ‘REBOOT. Updates, which include the new contactless limits, will download after the first transaction.
For desktop Poynt devices:
- If it has been unplugged for a while, reconnect the power to the device, and check it is connected to the Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Updates will be downloaded after your first transaction.
- If it has been plugged-in and connected to the Ethernet and Wi-Fi for some time without being used, it is prudent to reboot the device.
- To force a reboot, press the power button at the back left-hand side of the device to prompt the options to ‘POWER OFF’ or ‘REBOOT > choose ‘REBOOT’. Updates, which include the new contactless limits will download after first transaction.
Your guide to cleaning your card machine
Where possible, please encourage your customers to make contactless payments. This will minimise physical interaction with your card machine. In addition, card machines should be thoroughly and regularly cleaned.
Before cleaning your card machine you should:
- Wear single-use protective gloves.
Cleaning and disinfection substances recommended:
- For cleaning: water with soap or dishwashing detergent.
- For disinfection: alcohol based cleaning substances or alcohol with approx. concentration of 70%.
How to clean/disinfect:
- The cleaning substance should be applied using a clean lint-free cloth.
- Do not apply cleaning substances directly to the keyboard or display – it may damage the device.
- It is sufficient to use a lightly moistened cloth to effectively clean and disinfect the terminal. Excess fluid is not recommended as it might get into the device and cause damage.
Our customer support teams are still here around the clock every day of the week, but the current situation may see call answering times extended. In the meantime, if you have technical issues with your card machine, there are some simple steps you can safely take yourself.
Here are the most common problems you may encounter and a simple solution.
How to troubleshoot card machine issues
“Please retry batch” message displayed on terminal